As noted in the companion post about books, I’ll be keeping track of every movie I watch this year, with particular attention to the ones that move me in some serious way, positive or negative. Hopefully I can turn you onto some things you might not have otherwise found.
I’ll update this periodically.
Media Diet 2017: Movies
- The Secret Life of Pets
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
- Danny Says
- Phantasm III
- Oklahoma City-Informative, disturbing documentary of Timothy McVeigh and far-right domestic terrorism
- Carnival of Souls—One of my all-time favorites, watched for the 4th or 5th time.
- Beyond the Gates
- Tropic Thunder
- Exorcist III
- A Dark Song
- Batman and Bill
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2
- Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th
- Country: Portraits of an American Sound
- Big Trouble in Little China
- Prince of Darkness—Strangely, perhaps my favorite John Carpenter movie
- Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
- Sicario—Is there a better working director than Denis Villeneuve? I say no.
- The Blackcoat’s Daughter—So good. You should see this.
- Nocturnal Animals
- The Void
- The Conjuring 2
- Blood on Satan’s Claw—A key, founding document of folk horror, and with good reason. While a little slack in places, a strong, engaging bit of British horror.