Thinking a bit more about my Walking Dead review. I want to say two things about zombies:
1. I don’t dislike zombies. I just don’t see them used in too many interesting ways. But I do very much like the following zombie works:
- Movies: Night of the Living Dead, The Serpent and the Rainbow
- Books: Zombie, by Joyce Carol Oates
- Comics: Love Eats Brains, by Dash Shaw
2. I’m not saying that horror subgenres need to create enduring icons like Dracula or Frankenstein’s monster to be effective or succesful. That’s a foolish argument. After all, the best American horror movie I’ve seen in the last few years, Session 9, had no icons and that made it no less effective.
And anyway, given the resurgence of the zombie, perhaps the zombie, even without a recognizable, individual name or face, has become an icon of itself.